Saturday, August 22, 2009

God's Sovereignty and God's Purposes

At the end of the book of Job, God answers all of Job's questions about his sufferings by discussing not the "Why" but the "Who." God's response is essentially, I am who I am, and there is no other. In response, Job says of God, "I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted." Job 42:2.
The sovereignty of God is so important to me because I fight the fight of faith to believe that my son's death is not ultimately because of a pea. I fight to believe that (1) God caused Micah to fall out of his high chair, aspirate the pea and develop pneumonia and (2) God chose NOT to heal him, even though He had the power to do so. Because God is in control, he is able to accomplish His purpose for Micah's life.
Why, God, did you purpose for Micah to live on this earth only 9 short months? If God is in control, then I must come to grips with the fact that God's purposes are not necessarily consistent with my human-centered purposes. Using my human reasoning, I cannot think of any reasons, alone or together, that are sufficient justification for the loss of my son. But God is not ultimately concerned with our purposes for Micah or with our sense of Micah's entitlements to a long life, a college education, a good job and his own family.

I cannot now understand God's plans for glorifying himself through Micah. But my hope is that God, the maker and sustainer of all things, sovereignly fulfilled his purposes for Micah. My hope is that many, many years from now (perhaps thousands), I will come to understand what purposes God achieved through Micah's short earthly life.

3 comments:

  1. Cory and Heather, I am truly encouraged and in awe of your display of strength through faith. Our Sunday School lesson today brought Micah to mind. The title was "Who is your Best Friend?" That has to be God and nothing nor no one of this world.
    The scripture that stood out in my mind concerning Micah was: "Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away." James 4:24 NAS
    If our lives are a vapor, Micah's was a whisp. But the manner in which that whisp has impacted lives has been so much more than many of the vapors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true you guys! this verse as i said before in that previous post, was a rock for us when simeon died.. and it continues to be with our children that are living. especially when i get fearful!
    thanks for your words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for continuing to write. I often wonder how you are doing. I pray for you and appreciate having the new information. I imagine you are both exhausted by and driven to trying to get the answers to why Micah died (from a medical standpoint.)

    May you have hope in God that becomes more and more the anchor for your soul.

    ReplyDelete