Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A blessing from Mexico

Earlier today, Heather requested that people provide us with any blessings (however large or small) that came from Micah's death. I (Cory) recently received this message from my friend from my Wheaton College days, Jonathan Rockness. Besides being a father himself, Jonathan is a youth pastor at a church in North Carolina. Jonathan recently took his youth group on a mission trip to Mexico. Here is his message:

Well this will be hard to put into words, but I'll give it a go...I was in Mexico, leading a group of youth on a mission trip when I got the news late Tuesday night. All day Wednesday I felt deeply burdened by the news. I have always had a soft spot for Cory and taken joy in his joys. Now I was finding that I took great sorrow in his sorrows. I wasn't even going to tell my wife until we got back from Mexico because I didn't want the sorrow to distract her. However, Wednesday night, our group was singing "It is Well With My Soul," a hymn written by a man in the wake of losing his family. I really had to question if it would be well with my soul if I were in Cory's shoes. This led to a pretty emotional reaction for me, as I was unsure of the answer (I have a one-year old and could not get her out of my mind either.) Well, I think my emotions opened up our kids to the work of the Holy Spirit, because before I knew it there was an outpouring of emotions within our group. After singing we prayed and began sharing what was going on. God was moving in a magnificent way -- convicting people of sin, helping them deal with undealt with family issues, and comforting those with anxieties and fears. It was not emotional -- it was spiritual. I have never been a part of anything like it. The Holy Spirit, the Comforter, was at work and we were being blessed in an awesome way.I must also say that going into the week I had been dry spiritually. My affections were not for God. I think that the devastating news rocked me into getting back in touch with God and with my own soul.I also realized during the worship time, that our God knows the pain of losing a son. I had begun to wonder how God could put someone through this...and that is when I realized the obvious -- he put himself through this for us. My prayer is that Cory and Heather may know more intimacy with God as they have this most brutal pain in common with Him.In short, I honestly believe that Micah's passing helped open up 35 young people and adults to the work of the Spirit. I know it did that to me. Isaiah 61:1-3

1 comment:

  1. I am a friend of a friend who heard of your devastating loss. I have never had to endure something so tragic, but music gives me some solace when life is hard. I thought you might find some comfort in this piece by a friend of mine called "Promised Land". It is based on an 18th century hymn called "Guide me, O thou great Jehovah". I am so sorry for your loss.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e22KfMrfFjQ

    "Guide me O thou great Jehovah
    Pilgrim through this barren land
    I am weak but though art mighty
    Hold me with thy powerful hand.

    Open now the crystal fountain
    whence the healing waters flow
    Songs of praises, songs of praises
    I will ever give to thee."

    ReplyDelete